The operation of low-speed vehicles is governed by North Carolina State Statute G.S. 20-121.1.
OPERATION OF A LOW-SPEED VEHICLE ON CERTAIN ROADWAYS
1. A low-speed vehicle may be operated only on streets and highways where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less other than North or South Anderson which may only be used to cross over to another street. However, low speed vehicles are allowed in the 25 mph zone in the business district on S Anderson.
2.This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
3. A low-speed vehicle shall be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield wipers, speedometer, seat belts, and a vehicle identification number.
4. A low-speed vehicle shall be registered and insured in accordance with G.S. 20-50 and G.S. 20-309.
5. The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles on any road or highway if it determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
6. Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F. R. § 571.500. (2001-356, s.5.)